Micha Star Liberty
The team at Liberty Law is dedicated to improving the circumstance of those who have been harmed by the greed and thoughtless acts of the powerful.
Whether representing a person injured through no fault of their own, or someone victimized by a large corporation with extraordinary power, Liberty Law pursues justice on behalf of its clients in an effort to continue the battle for civil rights and justice for all.
Micha Star Liberty is the owner of the Liberty Law, with a diverse legal practice representing plaintiffs in cases involving unlawful business and employment practices, personal injury and mass tort, defective products, civil rights, discrimination, antitrust violations and consumer protection. Ms. Liberty’s clients include individuals, classes and/or groups of individuals, and small businesses across the nation. Liberty Law opened its doors in 2005.
A frequent lecturer and published author, Ms. Liberty focuses much of her public speaking on trial practice, discovery techniques, the importance of mentoring, and the best practices for opening a law office and law office management. Client communication is another topic she frequently speaks about, as she believes it is fundamental to the attorney-client relationship. She is also keenly committed to writing and speaking on the topic of marketing for attorneys. Further, she is dedicated to presenting on the topic of women in politics.
Ms. Liberty was a contributing author and editor for the following practice guides: California Client Communications Manual, and California Basic Practice Handbook, both published by Continuing Education of the Bar.
In addition to her busy law practice, she is a certified mediator with over 40 hours of training and previously performed mediations for the Contra Costa Superior Court and privately.
Ms. Liberty is a graduate of the University of California at Los Angeles and the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Ms. Liberty has worked at the White House and for two Members of Congress, first for U.S. Representative Mel Watt, from North Carolina, and then for U.S. Representative Anna Eshoo. She has also served as a judicial extern to Senior United States District Court Judge Thelton E. Henderson. While in law school, she served as a Moot Court Board member and teaching assistant, and an editor for the Women’s Law Journal.
In addition to her work on behalf of injured and aggrieved people, Ms. Liberty is active in her legal and political communities. Ms. Liberty is on the governing boards of the following professional legal organizations: Consumer Attorneys of California, the Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association (President, 2010), Alameda County Bar Association, and the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association. She is also a member of the Public Justice Foundation, and a graduate of Emerge-California. Micha Star Liberty was appointed as 2009-2011 Democratic State Central Committee Member.
Ms. Liberty has been honored to be selected as a “Super Lawyer” and a “Rising Star” by her peers every year from 2009 through today. Further, she was selected by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the “Top Forty Under Forty”, and is included in the list of “The Top Women Attorneys in Northern California” in San Francisco Magazine.
She is a former board member of the State Bar of California (Vice President, 2010-2011), the California Young Lawyers Association, and New Lawyers’ Division Board of Governors for AAJ, the San Francisco chapter of the National Women’s Political Caucus (President 2008-2009), the Women’s Section of the Contra Costa County Bar, and the Contra Costa County Bar Association’s Barristers Section (Chair), Earl Warren Inn of Court, and Congress of Neutrals.
State Bar Activities
- State Bar of California, Board of Governors (Vice President), 2008 – 2011
- State Bar of California, California Young Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2005 – 2008
Specialty Bar Activities
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, Executive Committee (Past President), 2002 – present
- Alameda County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2012 – present
- American Association for Justice, New Lawyers Division Board of Governors, 2007 – present
- Congress of Neutrals, Board of Directors, 2003 – 2008
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Board of Governors (Executive Committee), 2002 – present
- Contra Costa Barristers Association, Chair, 2004 – 2005
- Contra Costa Bar Association, Women’s Caucus, Board Member, 2004 – 2005
- Earl Warren Inn of Court, Member, 2006 – 2008
- San Francisco Trial lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2008 – present
- Superior Court, County of Alameda, Civil Discovery Referee, 2013 – present
- Center for Civic Education, Board of Directors, 2010 – 2011
- Democratic State Central Committee, Member, 2009 – 2011
- National Women’s Political Caucus, San Francisco, Past President, 2005 – 2009
- Talk of the Town Customer Satisfaction Award, Celebration Media, 2012-present
- The Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, 2012-present
- Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers, 2012-present
- Talk of the Town Award, 2011-present
- Super Lawyers of Northern California, Rising Star, 2009-2013, Super Lawyer 2014-present.
- Minority Bar Coalition, Unity Award, 2012, 2013
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Presidential Award of Merit, 2012, 2013
- California State Senate: Members Resolution No. 994 honoring Micha Star Liberty, 2011
- New Lawyers Division, Excellence Award, 2009, 2010, 2011
- National Association of Professional Women, 2010 – present
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Defender of Justice Award, 2010
- American Association for Justice, New Lawyers Division, Member Spotlight, 2008
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Outstanding Service Award, 2006
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Presidential Award of Merit, 2005, 2006
Speaking Engagements (Partial List)
- Employment Law Update, SFTLA 2014
- Top 3 USSC Employment Cases, Western Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Deposition Bootcamp, CEB Basics 2013
- Motions to Compel, SFTLA 2013
- Social Justice in the Workplace, USF Law School Seminar, 2013
- Marketing: The Basics, SFTLA Women’s Caucus Seminar, 2013
- Discovery of Electronically Stored Information, SFTLA Tahoe Seminar, 2013
- Client Communications, CAOC Annual Convention, 2012
- Welcome to the Law, Plenary Session Speaker, CEB Basics, 2012
- Law Firm Marketing, Plenary Session Speaker, CEB Basics, 2012
- Getting it Right Up Front, Case Selection, SFTLA, 2012
- Client Communications, SFTLA Tahoe Seminar, 2012
- Client Communications, CEB, and CEB Basics, 2012
- Connecting With Your Jury, CAOC Annual Convention, 2011
- Update of California Bar, Western States Bar Conference, 2011
- The Art of Witness Examination, CAOC Tahoe Seminar, 2011
- Taking Your First Deposition, CAOC Tahoe Seminar, 2010
- Legal Claims Against the Government, CAOC Annual Convention, 2010
- Deposition Bootcamp, SFTLA, 2010
- Marketing Roundtable, Women’s Caucus, SFTLA, 2010
- Online Marketing, SFTLA, 2010
- Marketing Roundtable, Women’s Caucus, SFTLA, 2009
- Online Marketing Strategies and Tools, SFTLA ,2009
- Nuts and Bolts of Effectively Litigating Your Case, COAC Annual Convention, 2009
- How New Online Strategies and Tools can Help Grow Your Practice in Turbulent Times, SFTLA, 2009
- College Success Class: What to Expect in the Field of Law, City College of San Francisco, 2009
- Depositions, ACCTLA, Regional Travel Seminar, 2009
- Case Investigation, CAOC Tahoe Seminar, 2009
- Case Selection and Evaluation, CAOC Annual Convention, 2008
- Quick Hits: “What you need to stay current”, CAOC Tahoe Seminar, 2008
- Gender, Politics and the Law, SFTLA, 2008
- Common Mistakes During Voir Dire, SFTLA, 2008
- Women Owned Law Firms: Overcoming Bias Deception, State Bar Annual Convention, 2008
- Opening a Law Firm, State Bar Annual Convention, 2008
- Deposition Practices, State Bar Annual Convention, 2008
- Opening a Law Firm, State Bar Annual Convention, 2007
- Winning Through Direct and Cross Examination, CAOC Tahoe Seminar, 2006
- Depositions for the New Lawyer, CAOC New Lawyers Seminar, San Francisco, 2006
- Nuts and Bolts of Depositions, CAOC Annual Convention, 2006
- Nuts and Bolts of Depositions, CAOC Annual Convention, 2005
- Defense Medical Exams, ACCTLA, Regional Travel Seminar, 2004
Publications (Partial List)
- Continuing Education of the Bar,
Basic Practice Handbook, Authored one chapter
- Continuing Education of the Bar, In Practice
California Client Communications Manual, Authored two chapters
- Plaintiff Magazine
Article: Wal-Mart, everyday low prices, everyday discrimination.
- The Trial Lawyer
Article: From Suffragettes to Sexy Politicians: Have we come a long way, baby?
- The Forum
Article: Be Direct! (re-printed with permission in The Verdict)
- The Verdict
Article: The ABC’s of a DME (Defense Medical Exam)
- CYLA Newsletter
Article: It Takes a Village to Raise a . . . Lawyer: A Personal Perspective on Career Mentoring
Quoted And/Or Featured In (Partial List)
- Various television and radio news segments regarding wrongful death case of bicyclist 2013
- Big News for Smaller Firms, Publication of the Solo and Small Firm Section State Bar, 2010
- The Recorder, several articles regarding State Bar issues, 2010
- Coffee is the New Lunch, The Glass Hammer Blog, 2009
- The Recorder, regarding “Find a lawyer” program, 2008
- NBC News 11, Interview segment regarding women in politics, 2008
- Various television and radio news segments regarding class action lawsuit against Waste Management, 2007